Wednesday, January 23, 2013

The Value of a Sparrow

I'm typically the over-prepared student with the nicely sharpened #2 pencils, fresh notebooks, and all her textbooks in order. But last night (the first night before school) I realized I didn't have a lab manual for Microbiology and the class required a lab coat. I also looked over the syllabus and my professor seemed incredibly strict and scary. Yikes. Commence in the freaking out. It's amazing how one thing can trigger a whole bunch of worrying thoughts. Not knowing what else to do, I prayed, read part of James, and then went to bed for the night. 
Fastforward. I walked into class this morning and behold! A friend who's in my Microbiology class had brought me a lab coat (God provides!), and I ran down and bought my lab manual before we went to lab (His timing is perfect!). My professor seems like a super nice guy, not scary in the slightest, and I'm actually really excited to take the class.
I'm looking back now a night later and I can see how useless it was to get worried. At camp last summer, the staff memorized most of Matthew 6, and parts of it came to mind last night (thank you, Holy Spirit!). Specifically, verses 26-27:
"Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life?"
God cares for the sparrows. He makes sure they have food and even designed them to migrate so they could survive. The verses goes on to talk about how he clothes the lilies in array of splendor - even though their lives are incredibly short. Clearly, God can handle a little lab manual mix-up. But oh-so often I'm quick to forget. I'm quick to forget that the Creator of the universe controls my life and that nothing is ever out of place, even when I may feel like it is. He gives the sparrows what they need, He's got me covered too.

7 comments:

  1. Thank-you for this post, Sara. :) So encouraging!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this. I've been reading and re-reading this passage for the past week and have found so much comfort in it, too.
    -s

    ReplyDelete
  3. i had to read luke 12:27-28 over and over yesterday. worry is ugly and you are right... one worry can only lead to more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so so true! Just that bit of worry opened a floodgate. I freaked out and started questioning whether or not I even wanted to go back to school. All over a silly lab manual and coat! So useless. God has us in his hands. :)

      Delete
  4. Very encouraging! I needed to read this today. :) Thank the Lord for his power to use people, and even blog posts to encourage! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect! Glad it all worked out for you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...