Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Summer Memories // Vinalhaven & Boston

Vinalhaven is a small little island off the coast of Maine. An hour and fifteen minute ferry ride lands you on this wonderful little place filled with lobster men and their families. I visited Vinalhaven once before, in the winter of 2011, and I was super excited to go back. We stayed with the same friend we did in February, but it was a lot warmer in the summer. :) 
Susannah takes a ride on the ferry!

 The Rockland Lighthouse from the ferry.

 The famous windmills on the island.


Karen's pooch. We loved him lots. :)

 You can't go to Maine without having lobster. Karen (the wonderful lady who let us sleep in her barn) cooked us a few and they were fantastic!



We filled many late nights with card games.

 The Harbor Gawker, one of the few restaurants on the island.
 Left time.. right time. :)
 There's only a little over 1,000 people on the island.. so everyone knows everyone. They have something called the Vinalhaven wave, it means you wave to absolutely everyone that passes you (It's not a ton of people). Took me a few times to remember, but I've been told it's an automatic reflex for the locals. :)







 After a few wonderful and relaxing days on the island, we headed home with a quick stop in Boston!




 We followed the Freedom Trail through the city. We only lost it once, haha. :)
 We walked about half of the Freedom Trail. SO cool! I loved it. I can't wait to get back to Boston and do it again and finish it. :)
Boston Public Gardens? Lovelyness. Boston was a great way to end an awesome trip. :)
Hope y'all enjoyed my quick visit back to the summer. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

2 comments:

  1. Great photos, Sarah! I've always wanted to try fresh lobster, so maybe I'll have some whenever I'm in Maine someday. ;) Also, what a great habit of kindness that the locals do on that island. So sweet! :D

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These photos are gorgeous! Glad you had such a fun time. I'm not a big fan of lobster, but maybe I'll give it a go some time in the future :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...