Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Adventure in D.C. // Part 2

Did you miss part 1? Check it out! 
Where did we head to after breakfast? Arlington National Cemetery! The grounds are lovely and it was super cool to see just how many people have laid down their lives in service to our country. I'm so thankful for our service men & women who sacrifice for our safety.






We got to see the Changing of the Guard ceremony at the Unknown Solider's Tomb. It was really neat.
The view from JFK's memorial was awesome..and I loved that quote! 

 Soon enough we headed back out to the other side of the Potomac. We stopped by the Einstein Memorial and saw the White House before arriving the Museum of Natural History.



 Dinosaurs! They're my favorite.. right after the mummies. :)


 After the museum and late lunch we stopped at the International Spy Museum. It was so cool! Tay & I both loved it. Sadly, they don't allow cameras, but I can tell you it's super cool and you should definitely check it out.
 After chilling a bit and possibly accidentally taking a nap, we headed out for a sunset ride to see a few last sights around town. Like the super cool Smithsonian Castle & gardens. 

 We were in the Zen garden. I acted Zen-y. Tay jumped. 


 We stopped by MLK JR's memorial again on our sunset bike ride around the Tidal Basin.



 I think the FDR memorial was my favorite in D.C. It's not well known, but it's very diverse and creative. 






 While we were at the FDR memorial.. it started pouring. We had no rain jackets or umbrella so we got kinda soaked. But alas, we warmed up/dried off with the hand dryers at the Jefferson Memorial. Making memories? I think so. :)



 After the Jefferson Memorial, we headed back for some much needed sleep after a very full day. The next morning we went to the Museum of American History (we voted it our least favorite, actually) and rode the carousel. Tay told me it was the first carousel that African-Americans were allowed to ride during the Civil Rights Movement. Cool stuff! 



 Sadly, all good things must come to an end. We spent a lot of time stuck in traffic getting out of D.C. but the bikes did stay on the rack the whole way home (every little bump I crossed my fingers a little tighter) so I can't complain. We had a great first adventure as adults and I'm looking forward to more in the future. :D

5 comments:

  1. So much fun, Sara! I must go to DC some time now. I love history. I think I would love DC too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sara,
    I haven't visited your blog in awhile, but remembered how impressed I was with your photos. I was in Washington DC only once with my two kids and a friend of mine. Our oldest son (14 at the time) had not one, but two broken arms...and it was hot! Maybe not the best way to see DC. Your photos are some of the most beautiful I have ever seen...I totally enjoyed seeing the sights through your eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these memorials! You've made me want to visit DC!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...