Thursday, August 19, 2010

Meringue Cookies

A few months ago, I took a bunch of pictures for a "How-to" post on making Meringue cookies. I absolutely love these cookies, I think they're quite amazing! If you make some, comment and post a link and I'd love to share your results! It is an incredibly easy recipe, have fun with it!
First off, ingredients. You'll need three eggs, 1 teaspoon of vanilla, and 3/4 cups of sugar. Chocolate chips are optional, but highly suggested!
First step, separate the egg whites, - they're really the one thing you want!
Get your sugar ready!
Put your three egg whites in a bowl (we have a Kitchen Aid, which is wonderful for this recipe), and start mixing them at a high frequency. I had our mixer on speed eight, a hand-mixer at its fastest should work too. Hand-mixing will not work with this! Keep beating until the egg whites start getting stiff, this should take a few minutes. (see two pictures below for stiff egg whites)Dump only a bit of sugar in at a time, allowing it to fully mix in between (about 30 seconds in between is good!). Add the vanilla in at this time too. It should look like this..
Yummms! Don't forget the chocolate chips!
If you're feeling creative..put some food coloring in! I did for a few of my cookies!
This step is very important. These aren't your normal cookies, they need to go on paper bags. The easiest way to do this is to pick up a paper grocery bag at the supermarket, and then cut it down to size. They cannot, I repeat, cannot go on a regular cookie sheet. I've tried it before..and they burned. Also, be careful that no paper is touching the sides, it could catch on fire.
Because these are weird cookies, they cook slower then typical ones. Put your oven on it's lowest settings (our lowest is 170°, I wouldn't put it on any hotter unless you have to), around 150° is good. They'll take anywhere from an hour and a half to two and a half hours to bake. You can check them periodically, they should not be goey or mushy in the middle, they should be crisp and break apart easily.
Then..sit back and wait for the timer to ding! These cookies are one of my favorite treats, and a great quick & easy recipe to make! Have fun making them, and if you have any questions, just comment and I'll get back to you ASAP!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...